White rice is processed grain. At the point when you hear that you might think that you should stay away from all “processed and refined grains”, well, white rice is at the highest priority on that rundown. Before we begin the battle : Brown rice vs white rice, let’s learn about grains.
Let’s divide the grain into 3 sections: the wheat, germ, and endosperm.
- The wheat is the external skin of the consumable part. It has antioxidants, B nutrients, and ﬁber.
- The germ additionally contains B nutrients, some protein, minerals, and healthy fats.
- The endosperm contains, for the most part, carbs, protein, and a few vitamins and minerals.
Nutritional facts vary from brand to brand, so here we’re comparing the most common brand: India gate. We will be comparing India gate brown rice weight watcher and India gate basmati rice through their nutritional-labels.
- A CALORIE BATTLE: This is the first thing a normal weight-conscious will look at(thanks to the label “weight-watcher”) which is there to grab our attention and if you’re serious health-conscious person, you’ll definitely go beyond the calories and look for the macros and micros too. Brown rice contains 355 calories/ 100 grams and white rice contains 344 calories/100 grams. The calorie difference among two isn’t much and they differ from brand to brand.
- FIBER TO KEEP YOU FULL: The weight loss part can get quite difficult if you’re spending most of your time eating anything available on the shelf without bothering about the nutritional values. Quality matters a lot and you’ve to be conscious about what you’re putting inside. Fiber helps us stay fuller for longer, and can eventually avoid mindless snacking in between the meals. Brown rice has 3.9 g of fiber, whereas white rice has 1.4 g. Brown rice contains a good amount of fiber when compared to white rice. The fiber in brown rice will keep you full for longer periods and Is good for the digestive system as well.
3.PROTEIN FOR THE MUSCLE POWER: Protein is one of the most essential macronutrients and has many benefits. A high-protein diet helps in reducing weight and gain a muscle-mass and strength. It helps in increasing bone density, reducing cravings, and also boosts metabolism which in turn increases the fat-burning process. The protein content in brown rice is much higher than white rice. Brown rice has 11 grams and white has 6.7 grams.
- SELENIUM FOR THE STRONGER IMMUNE SYSTEM: Selenium is a mineral that helps in building a stronger immune system. It brings down the danger of a few infections. Brown rice contains high selenium amount, expending it shields you from basic ailments like cold and influenza. Whereas, there’s no such thing mentioned on white rice.
- THE POWER OF MICROS: Brown rice contains a good amount of micronutrients when compared to white. The magnesium content in brown rice is important for healthy bones and teeth also helps in regulating the blood glucose level and blood pressure. Iron is one of the most important micronutrients found in brown rice, it ensures the development of red blood cells and a healthy immune system.
WHO’S WINNING HERE?
- Whole food always wins over the refined-food. So, it is always better to choose the whole real food. Brown rice is packed with a good amount of macronutrients and micronutrients when compared to white rice. So, brown rice wins in this case.
- White rice is consumed by the majority of our population and they aren’t evil. Few of them find them easy to digest as compared to brown rice. Here, white rice is winning the game.
- You can have either of them in your diet plan and consult your doctor if you have any health issues, before switching to another. The difference between both of them is not very high, so don’t panic, you can lead a healthy life with any of them if you have them in moderation.
- No specific food is going to make you fat if consumed in moderation and within the calorie requirements. Keep the portion size in check and stay active. A good healthy diet with a good workout routine will help you in maintaining a healthy weight.
Here, I have compared the India gate rice, this way you can compare different brands and choose the one you like.