Drinking alcohol is one of the most preferred ways to celebrate something. Sad? Happy? – Alcohol is the solution for many.
Though, this is not true for everyone. But, for many, this is the rule. With the increasing intake of alcoholic drinks, it is essential to dig deeper to know their impact on mental health and physical health.
I have met so many people who find it difficult to lose weight or maintain weight. Losing weight is challenging and, this gets harder if you have a habit of drinking alcohol. There might be other reasons for your stalled weight loss. But, alcohol comes into the picture because it is often ignored by many while counting calories.
And, there are different ways in which alcohol interacts with your body.
Alcohol plays a huge role in weight management. And, you should consider skipping a sip if you want to lose weight.
How can alcohol hamper your weight loss?
- Harmful for the liver: The liver plays a crucial role in the metabolism of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. And, consuming a large amount of alcohol even for few days can cause alcoholic fatty liver disease. This disease can damage your liver and directly affecting the way your body metabolizes and store carbs and fats. And, the resulting change can make it difficult to lose weight.
- You’re consuming empty calories: You’re consuming higher calories without any nutritional gains. And, alcoholic drinks are one of them as they’re also empty calories. One can of the beer contains 154 calories and if you’re a regular drinker or just can’t stop at one can. Then, these calories will increase your overall calorie intake quickly. Don’t forget to track these calories next time.
- You make bad choices: No, we are not talking about the decisions you make regarding your relationships, career, or life after drinking. When your alcohol consumption goes up, your probability of making healthy lifestyle choices goes down. And, another study indicates that students mostly consumed empty calories on the day they consumed alcohol. All of us know how important it is to make lifestyle changes to maintain a healthy weight. And, drinking alcohol will make this task stressful for you. Watch your eating pattern and drinking habits to lose or maintain weight.
- You might end up having a “beer belly”: A beer belly or beer gut is the excess abdominal fat that droops over your belt lines and is extremely dangerous for health. However, the beer is not the only one responsible for a beer belly. And, the other contributing factors include sugary drinks, alcoholic beverages, candy, or any other foods high in simple sugar. Sugary drinks can boost your calorie intake quickly. And, the body tends to store fat in the abdominal area. Also, drinks are accompanied by pizza, or other fried foods(No one is going to order salad :P). And, this automatically increases the calorie intake.
- Will disturb your sleep: Sleep and weight are related to each other and high consumption of alcohol can disturb your sleep. Lack of sleep or impaired sleep can lead to hormone imbalance. And, this imbalance will affect your hunger, satiety, etc. So, limit your alcoholic intake. Also, this varies from person to person. And, this information is based on the studies conducted. Here are some tips that can help you sleep well at night.
- It might demotivate you: Starting a workout routine and a healthy lifestyle is challenging for many. And, a day after you might not feel like exercising. Building a healthy lifestyle needs patience. A study says that alcohol can increases your hunger and appetite. So, your chances of getting back on track and eating healthy can reduce if you’re consuming alcohol almost every week.
Wait, that doesn’t mean that you can’t drink alcohol.
Best Alcohols that can save your weight loss journey 😛
- Red wine: Some studies suggest that red wine is good for heart health as compared to beer or liquor. Red wine contains 75 – 85 calories per 100 ml. So, you can go for this drink, but have it in moderation. Anything beyond the limit is always harmful.
- Champagne: A 125 ml glass of champagne has 86 calories. So, it has fewer calories and, you might consider having it. A study suggests that this carbonated bubbly drink impact your appetite sensation and, people started feeling full after having it.
- Light Beer: It’s another low-calorie drink, with just 104 calories per can. So, if you want to have a beer, go for the lighter one. It might help you save some calories.
- Booze on the rocks: Whether you go for vodka, tequila, whiskey, or gin, all of them have almost the same calories. They have about 100 calories, and you can choose any of them.
There are many other options to choose from, but that doesn’t give you a license to have them as much as you want.
- People usually consume junk food while having drinks. And, no one will opt for a salad, of course.
- Even if you’re choosing a low-calorie drink, you’ll end up consuming more calories because of the food you’re consuming with it.
- It is better to have them in moderation as they will have a long-term impact on your health.
Surbhi PrapannaJuly 17, 2021 at 8:33 am
I agree consuming alcohol has become a latest trend to celebrate. but anything in excess is bad for your health. glad you have mentioned about red wine and other better options , it will help people to make smart choices, when they can not avoid alcohol consumption due to any social reasons.
Hema DadhwalJuly 17, 2021 at 9:07 am
Well I like it you mentioned how alcohol 🍻 not good as well as how good & write choice of alcohol can help as well . 👏🏻😇
DiyaJuly 17, 2021 at 11:23 am
Well writing article. I m glad You have shared that how alcohol impacts your weight loss. This is helpful for them. Everyone will get it. Thanks for sharing
PriyalJuly 17, 2021 at 2:15 pm
It’s good to read this article and know about the demerits side of alcohol and how badly it affects our health. But at the same time you have shared few alcohols which can be good if we take in short interval
indiacafe24.comJuly 18, 2021 at 11:36 am
Its one of the excellent piece of writing from your side dear. But still people will go with overloaded amount of alcohol as if that makes them feel proud of being over. when will people understand everything in restricted amount is always good and not more.
JeannineJuly 18, 2021 at 3:05 pm
Not a fan of any alcohol but this was a good read. Knowing more about is still additional info.Besides, who doesn’t have any family member or friend who loves to drink. Great article!
Seema BardeskarJuly 18, 2021 at 4:21 pm
My friend told me that alcohol did affect her weight loss journey and had to stop it completely to get the desired results. Great details shared.
MeenalSonal MathurJuly 18, 2021 at 6:00 pm
You have very well listed all the calorie count for people to consider their next drink. And the fact that junk food is taken with alcohol consumption that adds woes to it.
CharuJuly 18, 2021 at 7:03 pm
It’s good to read this informative piece. I am not an alcohol person but will share with my friends who do consume regularly
BlisslifeJuly 18, 2021 at 7:19 pm
Hello Vandana, your this article I am going to share with my husband, he is a wine expert..he will definitely love your article. We often take wine time together 😅.
RupsbookloveJuly 18, 2021 at 8:33 pm
Very helpful insight. We many times think about weight loss and do things that do not go with the body. So, these things helps a lot in understanding the actual process.
Rakhi JayashankarJuly 19, 2021 at 7:00 am
My husband consumes orange and all.while drinking
I used to make fun of him.. But I.can see sense now
SnigdhaJuly 19, 2021 at 7:31 am
This is something I was unaware of . Thanks for sharing dear . I had so many misconceptions regarding alcohol actually.