There’s no one size fits all approach that works here. If something worked for someone, it doesn’t mean it will work the same way for you. The diet plans on the internet are not customized especially for you, and if you want to follow them, you have to make changes according to your requirements or goals. Those plans aren’t wrong, and they can give you an idea about how a diet plan looks like or what you should avoid, but they will never be the EXACT one for you. So, if you’re searching for your ideal one among the many on the internet, let me guide you through customizing one for you.
Why should you make a diet plan for yourself?
- You know your body well: You’re the only one who knows what suits you the best. Some medical conditions, like an allergy to some food groups, hormonal imbalance, etc., can change your food relation. And, you have to keep those conditions in mind while framing the diet plan for you.
- Time constraints: I have heard many people complaining about how they cannot stick to their diet plans just because they don’t have time to eat healthily. Curating one for yourself will allow you to utilize your time in the best possible way and cook something healthy for yourself in whatever time you have.
- Your calorie requirements: The calorie requirements differ from person to person depending on their physical activity, age, gender, metabolism, etc., so again a one- size -fits -all will not work here. So, you can consider all these factors while making your diet plan.
- Your goals, Your way: I prefer making my diet plans myself and customize them according to my weight or body goals. The Diet plan for weight loss is different from my diet plan for muscle gain. Similarly, make one according to your requirements.
DIY: How to make a diet plan?
If anyone can maintain their body weight for a long time, it is just because of their sustainable diet plan. So, make sure you make one for yourself.
- What’s your body goal? : This is the most crucial step one has to take while customizing a diet plan. Whether you wish to lose weight, gain weight, gain muscles, or maintain weight. Take your decision and then proceed.
Remember that your body goals should be only about you. Choose to be healthy over being thin. 🙂
- Total Calorie intake: Okay, this gets a bit tricky initially, but you will learn with practice. If you wish to lose weight, you have to stay in a calorie deficit. If you want to gain weight, you have to stay in a calorie surplus, and if you want to maintain weight, stick to your daily calorie requirements. Calorie requirements vary from person to person, and it depends on your physical activity, age, gender, current weight, etc. Fitness apps can help you find your maintenance calories, eat according to those requirements and check your weight after ten days. If it remains the same, then those are your correct maintenance calories. Add 200-500 calories for the weight gain or reduce 200-500 calories for the weight loss.
TIP: Never cut your calories drastically, as this can harm your physical and mental health. You will have no energy to workout or carry out everyday tasks. And, our brain also craves fuel. Not supplying enough energy to it will make you feel tired and unfocused. Nothing is worth coming, which comes at the cost of mental and physical health. Treat yourself well. 🙂
- Get the macros: Ditch the diets that want you to remove carbs and fats from your diet. (except it is because of any medical condition) Carbs are not evil, and the fats will not make you fat. ( calorie surplus does that) Once you know your calorie requirements, you can divide the amount of carbs, protein, and fats per meal. Choose your meals wisely and make sure you get them. Choose healthy carbs, healthy fats, and lean protein. If you’re entirely new to this, use google to know about the food you’re going to consume, and with time, you’ll have a good list of stuff to include in your diet.
TIP: Don’t focus on getting the protein in a single meal. It is always advisable to spread your protein intake throughout the day. Spreading it throughout the day maximizes the use of amino acids for building muscles. Also, it can help you stay full for longer, and you’re less likely to overeat.
- Choose wisely: This may sound obvious, as you’re going to switch to a healthier lifestyle. Still, it is a crucial step as you’ve to pick the more nutritious stuff anytime you do grocery shopping. Make sure you stock the healthy stuff and eliminate the unhealthy junk food from your house. When it is out of sight, it is out of mind. It is the easiest and the most convenient way to break your junk food habits. However, I don’t advise you to stop eating the things you love, and you can always keep 100 calories aside for your desired tasty treats. Try the healthier alternatives of your favorite food available in the market, or try out some healthy recipes available on the internet.
TIP: You’re most likely to go for junk food if you don’t plan your meals ahead of time. And, when you feel starving, you’re more likely to grab something that is easily accessible. Planning your meals ahead of time and storing some healthy snacks with you while you go somewhere out will reduce your chances of just going for anything you see at first sight.
- Track your meals: It is essential to take this step seriously because it doesn’t give you a license to overeat when eating healthy. I have heard people complaining about not losing weight even after eating healthy just because they sometimes don’t consider the portion size while eating anything. Track your meals and your portion size. If you’re going to eat out, then adjust your meals accordingly.
TIP: The portion size controls how many calories a person consumes, and it can hinder your ability to estimate how much you are eating.
6.Sleep well and exercise daily: Your diet is not only about what you eat. Sleep also plays an essential role in the overall health of a person. When you sleep less, you might feel tempted to skip exercise also. So, sleep well and get charged for the next day. Try to work out atleast 3-4 days a week to get best results.
- Choose your companion: No, it is not about a person 😛 The one thing that can help you with these steps are some fantastic apps that can help you know your daily calorie requirements, track the food you eat, set macros’ goals, and control portion size.
- The steps mentioned here can help you set a diet plan for yourself. You can always ask for help from your trainer, dietician, or doctor(if you have any medical problems). Seek help if needed.
- These are some amazing ways through which you can achieve a healthy lifestyle. And, this can help the person of any age if they are medically fit and healthy.
- Stay active and work out at least 3 -4days a week. This will help you stay fit and active. You’ll make better food choices.
- Now, you can make a diet plan for yourself and guide others as well. But, here we have a special 21 day anti inflammatory diet plan for our beginners. 🙂