You were all motivated to start your fitness journey this year, but then your office hours came between you and your fitness. This is the most common excuse you can hear or give to yourself or your trainer. But, just because you have a desk job that demands 8 hours of your day doesn’t mean you should forget about your health and fitness. There are many ways to stay fit even with a desk job (stop giving excuses first). Here we will share some simple tips that you can follow every day to improve your health and will help you in staying fit with a desk job.
Your health wants just an hour from you, and the rest is how well you prioritize your things and where your health falls on your priority list.
Tips to stay fit with a desk job:
- Stop making excuses: Yes, this one is the first thing you have to do if you want to improve your health. You might have different reasons to skip workouts or eat unhealthily. But, it’s only you who can prioritize yourself and your health. You may find it difficult to wake up early in the morning or work out in the evening after a hectic schedule. But, you can make minor changes here and there to stay fit even at the office. And, your health asks only an hour from you and healthy eating habits. It’s not expensive, but your health is, and anything at the cost of health is costly.
- Move your body: This tip may not sound practical to you, and you might end up believing that walking might not bring much change. But, simple habits like walking to the office every day, using stairs, walking while on call, and moving during short breaks or lunchtime can make a huge difference. It can help you complete your goal of 10k steps and boost your productivity. Sitting in one place for a long time can make you feel tired and can decrease your productivity. So, take small breaks of 5-10 minutes and walk around. You will see the change yourself, be it in physical health or mental health.
- Don’t skip breakfast: If you have not slept well on time, your chances of getting up late increase. And, then it’ll leave you with no other option but to skip your breakfast and run to the office. Breakfast sets the tone for the day. Wake up on time and have a healthy protein-rich meal to manage cravings and stay energetic throughout the day.
- Carry your food with you: It may not always be possible for you to cook something at home for an office, but this change can also make a significant change in your health. When you don’t carry your food with you, you have no other option but to eat out, increasing your chances of choosing something unhealthy. Also, take your snacks with you. Many brands offer tasty and healthy snacks, else a fruit bowl, dry fruits, yogurt, etc., can help you manage the hunger pangs well. Once your eating habits improve, your health will improve too.
- Stay hydrated: Water can keep you moving and reduce your cravings as well. Every time you finish your water, you have to get up and move. These tiny baby steps count and can make a difference. Water will keep you fresh and alert. The brain finds it confusing to realize the difference between hunger and thirst. So, have water before you decide to grab something else.
- Watch your posture: Even if we’re conscious about our posture while exercising and walking, sitting posture can suffer. After a few minutes on the desk, we start to slump, thereby harming our posture. Sit right and watch your posture. If you feel lazy, walk a few steps and get back to work, but don’t let your spine suffer.
- Hit the gym: This option might not sound easy for many, but you can go to the gym after or before your office. It might look challenging after a tiring day. But, take a break and try to hit the gym or go for any other workout. Some offices even provide gyms, go there, save some time and invest in your health. You can get a few gym/ exercise equipment to work out at home. Trust me, it is the best investment one can do in their health. Here are some more reasons to convince you. 😛
- Participate in activities: Most offices have a gym, and some even organize other activities to engage their employees. You can be a part of them to refresh yourself. These fun activities will not only keep you active but will also boost your productivity.
- Stand whenever you can: If you have an option to stand, do it. Stand whenever you can. Some offices even provide standing desks, which is an excellent way to break from long hours of sitting in front of the computer.
- Stretch your body: Stretching helps relieve joints and aches that one might get after sitting for that long. Give yourself a short break in between and do some stretching. Sitting too long would hurt you in the long term.
- Eat smart at parties: All those weekend parties or small gatherings in between could harm your health in the long term if you’re not aware of your food choices. You can enjoy all of them if you know how to balance your calories and eat smart at parties as well. Here are a few simple tips to eat healthy at parties. (Healthy eating is not boring. :P)
These simple steps if implemented can make a significant impact on your overall health and will help you in staying fit with a desk job. But, it needs the right mindset and approach. Stop making excuses and find ways to stay active throughout the day.
One might not feel motivated enough to step out to a gym after a tiring workday. But, find ways to keep yourself active. Cook a healthy meal, take your dog out for a walk, meditate, write a journal, practice yoga, or do something you like to keep your mind and body energized.
Try to go to bed on time to get proper sleep for a better start the next day. A small fix in your daily routine can also help you take some time out for a quick workout session. Start your day with a healthy breakfast to stay active throughout the day.
If you’re working from home, then our simple tips will help you stay fit with work from home as well. 🙂