The typical answer one might give on this is, ” Oh, c’mon, who does that? Or Who even thinks about it? Thus, eating healthy at parties is one of the least approached problems, and people usually ignore it. However, these questions will pop into your mind if you have many parties lined up in a week(especially if you’re health-conscious), if you’re trying to make a healthy lifestyle change, or if you’re trying to lose weight. With time, you can master the art of eating healthy at parties and still enjoy them. Let’s dive into some simple tips that can help you eat healthy at parties without feeling guilty.
Parties or gatherings won’t hurt you much if you know to balance your drinks and food well.
Tips to eat healthy at parties:
It is not always about weight; it is more about choosing a healthy lifestyle and making healthy choices.
- Don’t go starving: Going to the parties starving is the most common mistake people make. It’s OK to save some calories for the party, but it doesn’t mean that you go too hungry to start eating everything in sight. We’re more likely to make poor food choices when we’re hungry. Have a protein and fiber-rich snack before going to the party, and be conscious about the choices you make there.
- Scan the buffet: It is always better to scan the menu before you fill your plate. Make the top three picks and choose something you like the most or love to try for the first time. The most unfavorable spot to be in is where you find something you would love to have, and you look down and realize your plate is already overflowing.
- Avoid dipping sauces: Here, you can mess up your daily calorie intake easily. It isn’t easy to track the portion size of dipping sauces, and you might end up eating more. Dipping sauces are there to enhance the taste, but too much of them without any control on portion size will end up providing you empty calories. Go easy and control your portion size.
- Drink Water: Drinking water before and even at parties can help you save calories if you wish to. This zero-calorie drink can help you make better choices because then you can make better choices. Sometimes, it gets difficult for the brain to distinguish between thirst and hunger, so keep yourself hydrated. This trick will help you know when you’re exactly hungry, and you will make better food choices.
- Avoid Alcohol: Most of you might give a big NO to this, but you can have fun even without alcohol- I do that all the time. There are plenty of options available to choose from, so select some other drink. Avoid alcohol as it is just empty calories. But, if you can’t resist, then don’t go for more than one drink. It’s your health; choose wisely.
- Hit the dance floor: Now, this can be one of the simplest tips to follow. Hit the dance floor and burn some calories. An average person burns 300-800 calories per hour dancing. However, these calories depend on a person’s weight and intensity of dancing. So, don’t underestimate this trick. 😛
- Have a salad: Most salad lovers do it intentionally. Salad can help you stay full and avoid extra calories. So, have them with your main course if you wish to limit your calorie intake.
- Choose protein-rich food: Protein will help you stay full for longer by reducing hunger hormones and boost satiety hormones. It will automatically make you consume fewer calories and will help you lose or maintain weight. So, at parties where plenty of options are available, it is not difficult to find something rich in protein. Look around and prefer protein over carbs and fats.
- Choose a healthy dessert: Choosing something healthy among the dessert options can be a bit tricky. But, you can go for yogurt with dried fruits and fruit toppings. Or, you can choose a scoop of ice cream with a healthy topping.
- Relax and Have fun: It is not wrong to have a cheat meal once a week, and in fact, you should have it. Have fun at social gatherings and if you know about the upcoming party well in advance, eat healthy throughout the week. But, these tips are super helpful, and you should follow them if you have a social gathering almost twice or thrice a week. You have to come up with a strategy to keep yourself fit and healthy.
Think beyond losing weight. Choose to eat healthy because your health is essential. Make healthy choices whenever and where ever you can.
- Most of us don’t have parties throughout the week, but you have to develop some strategy to help you enjoy your parties and even stay fit.
- If you’re the one who is hosting a party, then keep some healthy options in your menu as well. Parties or social gatherings aren’t always about junk food and alcohol.
- Healthy options in the menu will help your guest choose according to his/her needs.
- There’s nothing wrong with a cheat meal or a cheat day. But, more than one cheat day/meal can be problematic. Choose your food wisely.
- Eating healthy isn’t only about losing weight. It is more about a healthy lifestyle and the choices you make.
Share this with your friends who are trying to follow healthy lifestyle and make sure they enjoy their parties with these tips. 😛