All that hard work can go in vain in seconds if you have no control over what you eat. Mindless snacking can lead to weight gain, no matter how healthy your food is. Weight gain is always because of a calorie surplus, and the food here includes everything, healthy or unhealthy. However, going for something unhealthy and high in calories can create many health problems(if done in the long run). But, there are many alternatives available that are healthy, tasty, and have fewer calories. Snacking is not a bad habit. However, everything depends on the choices we make. Let’s explore some healthy snacks below 100 calories.
- Fruit or Fruit Bowl: First on our list is the fruit bowl, but how will it be 100 calories if you add a lot of it. A fruit bowl can be a 100 calorie snack option depending on the calories and the quantity of fruit you choose. Some of the fruits are high in calories, like bananas, mangoes, etc., that alone if added, can be 100 calories. You can have them individually, but if you want to add different fruits, choose low-calorie fruits like Kiwi, Grapefruit, watermelon, etc. . The key rule is to have them individually if they have high calories. Otherwise, mix your favorite ones in small amounts and enjoy. Fruit Bowl or Fruit can be a healthy snack below 100 calories.
- Hard-Boiled eggs: Super easy to consume and low in calories, high in protein. Just boil some eggs, and your instant snack of only 72 calories and 6 grams of protein is ready. The protein will keep you full and can also prevent overeating.
- Popcorn: We are not talking about the pre-packaged microwave popcorns as those popcorns contain perfluorooctanoic acid(PFOA) and diacetyl, which can be harmful. They may also contain unhealthy trans fats. Popcorns bought from movie theatres or stores are often smothered in unhealthy fats, artificial flavorings, and a tremendous amount of sugar, salt, and calories. So, it is always better to go for the natural/real ones. Popcorns are low in calories and have essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and a good amount of fiber. Thus, they can help you stay full for longer hours and can help in weight loss.
- Dry fruits: You have to be very careful here, as most of the dry fruits are high in calories. So, if you want to have them as snacks, consider those calories and choose wisely. Calories vary depending on what you prefer — a handful of almonds, pistachios, etc., can be a great snack option. They contain the right amount of fiber and protein. So a small portion of them can satisfy your hunger. You can always carry them with you or keep a little box on your office or study table.
- Non-Fat Greek Yogurt: Non-fat Greek yogurt is low in calories and contains a fair amount of protein. If you have a sweet tooth and want to have something sweet in snack time, then non-fat Greek yogurt can be a healthy option.
- Cucumber and Tomatoes: Cucumber is a healthy, hydrating food that contains 95 percent water. They have a small number of nutrients and being a water-rich vegetable, it is low in calories. Tomatoes also have 95 percent water and are also a good source of Vitamin-A, which keeps skin, eyes, and immune system healthy. So, if you’re a salad lover, have some cucumber and tomato.
- Skimmed milk: Milk can be a great snack option as it can keep you full and is a quick way to reduce hunger pangs. They contain a fair amount of protein, which gives you another reason to have them, especially after workouts. It can be one of the easily available healthy snacks below 100 calories.
- Sweet Potato: It is an underground tuber, low in calories and rich in antioxidants. 100 g of sweet potato has 90 calories, and the medium ones have around 103 calories. They are nutritious, high in fiber, very filling (high water content), and can reduce hunger pangs. Sweet potatoes can be eaten boiled, baked, fried, or steamed. To keep them low in calories, avoid having them fried. They can be a good snack option as they are whole food and are much more filling than processed food. (Aids in weight loss also.)
- Tofu: Tofu can be eaten as a snack, especially if you’re a vegan. Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all nine essential amino acids. This low-calorie plant-based protein source can even help you to reach your weight goals. Have it in a salad or a sandwich, and enjoy this tasty, healthy snack.
- Tomato soup: Tomato soup is low in calories, and 1 cup (244g) contains only 86 calories. It has disease-fighting properties and has 0 cholesterol. Many varieties are available in the market, and some can be very high in calories, so look for the nutritional values while buying the canned ones.
- The calories of everything you consume depends on your method of cooking it.
- If you want to avoid excess calories, choose homemade snacks rather than packed ones.
- These 100 calorie snack options depend on the quantity of the food you eat. Having them in excess will easily exceed your 100 calorie snack limit.
- Snacking is not bad; it’s about the choices we make. Choose the best for yourself.
Also, let us know your favorite healthy snacks in the comment section below. 🙂