With changing lifestyle, the importance of fitness has increased manifold. It is necessary to take care of our health and mainly when pandemic has restricted our movements. The only option left for us is a home workout. But, it isn’t easy for everyone to stay motivated for home-workouts. However, a good workout routine can help improve your physical and mental health. Most of us often face pandemic stress and anxiety, so a good home-workout is probably one of the best ways to handle them well. Home – workout is possibly the most convenient and safest option right now. But, it is also easy to lose motivation when you have a chance to binge-watch your favorite series and spend hours lying on the couch or bed. But, we have to make the best use of anything available at home.
Let’s get into our top 10 tips to stay motivated for your home workouts.
Tips for home workouts:
- Routine is everything: Weekdays can easily slide into weekends when we spend most of our time indoors. Pandemic has given us that leisure when most of the people don’t worry much about the time. So, the possibility of losing motivation for working out shouldn’t sound strange. The best thing you can do is to stick to a routine—no matter where you are. Sleep on time, wake up on time, and make home-workout a part of your routine. You can even work out in the evening, but make sure it’s part of your routine, which you have to follow religiously.
- Designate your workout space: No, we aren’t telling you to set up a complete gym or find a big room for yourself. A workout space can be as big as a home gym, or it can be a small corner of your house. And, if you have a balance ball, weights, mat, etc., choose a place when your workout with them comfortably, without hurting yourself. But, if you don’t have any of these, you can still do a bodyweight exercise to keep your heart pumping. There are loads of options available like yoga, HIIT, weight training, dancing, etc., that can help you stay active. Do different things and enjoy being active.
- Wear your workout clothes: This is a game-changer. Working out in proper workout clothes can motivate you to a great extent. Most people, when working out at home, don’t bother much about what they are wearing. Enclothed cognition is a psychological phenomenon that advocates that the clothes we wear affect behavior, attitude, personality, mood, confidence and enhances your performance. So, get into your workout clothes, even if you’re working out at home.
- Set goals: Setting goals can keep you motivated, as you’ll always have something in your mind to achieve. However, that depends on how well you deal with the excuses you’ve already created in your mind. Set realistic goals. You can challenge yourself with the minutes you can plank, or the number of pushups you can do, anything you like. You can improve a lot this way.
- Good grove will help you move: Music can be a great motivator and can boost your performance. Several studies have observed that listening to music while working out can improve athletic performance, the reps you complete, etc. Music can enhance your length of workout by up to 70 percent. So, put on some good music while working out at home to keep you moving. So, sometimes, the music will even motivate you to go for an extra 10 min workout.
- Put some motivational quotes and posters: If you’re looking for some external push, these motivational posters and quotes can boost your energy. There are lots of them ready on the internet for free; use them as your motivation. You can use the images of fitness models or bodybuilders who inspire you. So, when you don’t feel like working out on days, these posters can boost your energy.
- Use workout apps or youtube videos: There are loads of them available in the play store, and they can be your best trainer in the absence of regular trainers. Fitness apps come with a variety of exercises from beginner to advanced level. You can choose according to your fitness level. And, these apps help track workouts. Most of the apps have an option to set a reminder for daily workouts. So, make the best use of tech and let them function as your trainer and a motivator. Or just choose your favorite trainer on youtube and try their workouts.
- Have fun trying different workouts: There is no single way to stay fit and active. You can do anything to keep yourself healthy. Try dance, yoga, HIIT, weight training, etc. Don’t restrict yourself to a single routine and try other variations to motivate yourself. And, enjoy your workouts.
- Reward yourself: So, you’ve been working out well, and it’s time to reward yourself with a special meal or a good pair of sneakers. It is always better to keep a balance between your diet plan and your cheat meal. So, have a pizza, cupcake, or anything you like. Or get new workout clothes or sneakers. Invest in workout equipment like resistance bands, dumbbells, kettlebells, yoga mat, skipping rope, or anything you like to make your workouts fun and exciting.
- Have a workout buddy: We aren’t advising you to step out and work out with your friends. But, both of you can motivate each other through video calls. Join your friend through a video call and have a great workout session with them. You can even organize small challenges like who can do the maximum pushups, plank for a longer time, etc. So, when you don’t want to work out, your friends can be your motivation.